Depression Treatment


It is estimated that about 1/3 of the population eventually suffers from depression (Canadian Mental Health Association). Only family doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists are qualified to diagnose depression. My first recommendation is likely to be for you to discuss your concerns with your family doctor. If a person’s feelings of depression are occurring “out of the blue” and believed to be of a chemical nature, family physicians or psychiatrists may recommend medication. Social workers (like me) provide talk therapy. I can help you take an honest look at what may be contributing to depressive feelings in terms of your thought patterns, current and past events and relationships in order to develop new, more satisfying strategies to decrease and perhaps even eliminate depressive symptoms.